Monday, December 19, 2011

Haematology

Consultation with Dr L this morning.

Dr L says that the genetic abnormality C-MPL W515 occurs in 3-5% of the MPD/MDS cases, so that means 60-100 cases in the UK a year. There was an article about these cases in the US journal Blood in 2008 which he will email to me. At a first glance there weren't any relevant papers at the American Society of Haematology's annual conference this year.

The only feature of this variant of the disorder worth mentioning is an increased risk of thrombosis, but as I'm already taking aspirin there's nothing more needed.

Platelets were down since November 9, from 592 to 571 10^9/L, and Neutrophils were up from 1.36 to 1.61. WBC down from 3.57 to 3.11 10^9/L but Dr L was not concerned.

If I get a fever (38 c or higher) it is to be reported immediately to the practice nurse.

Dr L didn't want to be drawn on the subject of my expected balance of useful existence, but said I should ask Professor M when I see him on Monday January 30.

No comments: