Thursday, May 06, 2010

Polling Day

Yesterday, local canvassing. The response was good, but I think Kate Hoey, our Labour MP, has done a very good job and is well-known for having a mind of her own, so she will probably survive the swing against Labour.

I did a two-hour stint telling from 11.00 to 13.00 this morning, and the presiding officer came outside to tell me he had 'a number of complaints' about my conduct. I told him that only one person had said anything to me personally, and that my standard approach is

'Would you be kind enough to let me know the number on your poll card'.

If anybody says they prefer not to give the number, that's the end of the conversation.

Mr Crump (for that was the gentleman's name) said he would report the complaint to the Town Hall. I said I hoped he would say precisely what it was I was alleged to have said or done, and that I expected to be given a full opportunity to respond to the complaint. In the meanwhile, I vigorously denied that I had done anything that could have justified a complaint.

Now I have to go and do another two-hour stint at the same school!

No comments: